Wednesday 29 August 2007

conclave

Here we go then my weekend away in Augusta for the first GRSP conclave was so much fun.
It took 5 hours for us all to get to August from Valdosta and although I was so sleepy I only managed to sleep for just over an hour. I think because I was so tired I just slept in a really odd position and then by the time I woke up I had this horrible pain in my side so then I could never really get comfortable.
So we arrived in this huge hotel and got a big hug from Janice who is like the coordinator of all the students. Then we checked in our luggage and got our picture taken as we get a year book at the end of the year. Then we had Mexican for lunch which was really tasty I liked that a lot. And so people just kept arriving and mingling which was nice. I got to see all the students from my home town Portobello and had a huge run up to hug my friend like those cheesy films it was sweet.

So then we had a lot of talking to be honest. They split it up so we had a nice break but wow there was a lot of talking.
They showed us a nice video at one point of really picturesque scenes of Georgia, however I don't know where any of them are which is a little annoying. Then at 4.00 we were given host parents for the weekend. I stayed with a lady who was so sweet I liked her a lot. Her house was full of tiny trinkets and thing it was amazing I loved it. And so she looked after me and the sweetest girl from Bulgaria who I just adore. She gave me this lovely little traditional wooden painted bottle type thing but it isn't like a bottle at all really, it holds rose oil as Bulgaria is famous for its rose oil. It sounds like beautiful country I think I would like to go one day, she told me that where she stays is very old so I think the buildings must be beautiful.

Then we all went out to a dinner with all the Rotarians, host families and students. I sat at the Bulgarian table with my friend from Scotland which was nice. We both ate a pie which was really tasty, very sweet.
Then all the students had to go up on the stage and say their name and country, which rotary club they were with and also their university. Which was a little scary to be honest so I think I may have just raced through it but hey. I wanted to say that I come fae bonnie Scotland in broad Scots accent but decided against it.
Then they gave us some freebies which was nice.

The next morning their were talks once again. Then we had our picture taken as a group which to be honest was torture! It was so warm outside and they kept having to move people about so we could be seen also I didn't want to be seen. I managed to spill some coffee on my nice new GRSP white polo shirt. I though that there was just a little in the bottom of the cup and I could still clap with it in my hand. Nope.

After lunch we had to get things ready for the performance that night. First we had to do the flags as we all walk in with a flag each side of the room and go up on stage. It was so funny though, we did it with music that sounded like a mix of star wars and Disney background music shoved together. I laughed. I was a little nervous too though that I would slip and fall and then it would be a domino effect with everyone behind me falling and all these flags falling on top of them and everyone would be like 'silly Scottish girl'. However it didn't happen so all is dandy.

Once we did the flags it was time to learn the Peace song. As my friend from Colombia is an amazing singer she was given the C.D. to take back and practice so she can sing it at our next conclave.

Then we all went in groups to practice our piece which was fun. We all just checked that we knew the Gay Gordons and then just spent the rest of the time having fun. We went back to Lin's so shower and change before we went back for the meal and performance. It was a buffet and my table were the first to go up so I got to find the biggest piece of chocolate cake. Then we did the flags and the song and all the little performances started.

There was a video about Colombia and they had a little dance and the girl from Malaysia did a fan dance which was so beautiful i loved it she looked amazing. Poland and Vietnam both played piano, not together they just both played. And the girl from Turkey danced by herself.
The four Bulgarians also performed two traditional dances.
The Gay Gordons went very well. Once showing the audience we asked if anyone wanted to come up and try so I danced with a little girl who was a part of a host family for another student, she must have been around 9 I think. She was lovely although it meant that I had to play the man which I am not quite used to but she looked so eager to come up that I couldn't say no. Of course it turned into a bit of a shambles but then again, that is what it is all about. Everyone had fun which is the main thing.

Once all the performances were done the Rotarians went home while the students danced in the hall. A lady played some salsa music and the usual pop music. We also requested that she play the Scottish music again so once again there was a mad shambles which was grand.

No comments: