Tuesday 7 August 2007

university

So, I have slept in my dorm overnight and although it was a little cold it is a lovely apartment style dorm. There are four of us living there in total although I have only met one of the girls who also stayed here last night. She is form Columbia and is on the same Rotary programme as myself. I think that we should get along well as she seems really nice.

After dropping off my luggage at the dorm yesterday, my host mum took me to Moe's (a Mexican restaurant, not the pub in Springfield). It was set up like subway and you could pick from all the different meat, veg and beans. I tried black beans for the first time which were pretty tasty. I asked the man what they were like and he 'couldn't really describe them' but did ask me if i knew what the chicken tasted like once I had ordered it. He didn't make me laugh with his customer service, but did have amusing facial hair. You win some you lose some.

Anyway, after Moe's was a huge Walmart shop. As the schools started today, Walmart was packed full of families buying school supplies, and pack lunch food. It was a rather chaotic atmosphere but we were able to pick up everything that was needed for the apartment. I now have a matching shower curtain, toilet brush, tooth brush holder and soap dispenser. Oh yes. I hope that the girl I am sharing with likes flowers and stripes but hey, I got there first so that is what the poor girl just has to live with. It's just a year anyway.

My room mate and I were at an International Students Preregistration Preparation Meeting. That's a mouth full. This was scary at first as there are a lot on mandatory subjects for students here such as math, English, physical education, as well as government and history of Georgia and the USA. Luckily this does not apply to myself as I won't be graduating.
I shall choose the subjects that interest me most and make sure that I am studying 12 hours a week. I shall just have to wait and see what is available for me but fingers crossed there will be a space. I am rather frustrated that most art subjects need prerequisites but it is understandable. I will be able to attend drawing and 3D design however so am planning on splitting them up over the two semesters.

No comments: