Tuesday 31 July 2007

I am here

So on the 27th of the month of July I arrived in Atlanta Georgia. Now that airport is HUGE. I went through customs. Admitted to having short bread with me, not as the man said 'to make me feel taller' but just as gifts for the future anyhow. His son was planning on going to Valdosta but it was too expensive so I think that he may have been a bit miffed that I manged to get in and have my expenses paid for through the Rotary Club but what can you do. After that awkward conversation, I went on a huge escalator to receive my luggage. This took a long time and I was next to a lady that kept shouting at her children who were doing nothing wrong and must have been over the age on 17 so in my opinion should not have been shouted at as though they were 10 years old. Maybe that's just me being a teenager thinking that, but really the woman was horrible. And very load.

Once I picked up my luggage I then balanced it on myself to find a happy medium on weight distribution with my two shoulder bags. That was fun and I dropped everything at one point. Slightly embarrassing although I was asked if I needed help which was nice. I then gave my bags away again, went through security and then jumped on the train. Yes, there is a train in the airport. Who knows. I took this to the last stop to once again, collect my luggage from one of the ten off belts that had Delta on them with luggage going round.

I managed to find my friend and luggage and walked outside the airport on what was called a 'mild' day. I however felt as though I was walking into an oven. Not that I have every done that I am too big, but you get the point, it was hot. Gas mark 9 I would say. We then drove past the base ball stadium and got to have a look at the Atlanta sky line which was lovely.

Once in the house I had a little chat and a sit down. The house was lovely and filled with the most amazing objects from Thailand. I then met the wife of the couple and we all ate pizza. I went to sleep at around 9 pm which would really be 2 am. I slept for 14 hours, which was nice. Once awake I drank some coffee which was a smart move considering the day I had ahead. I also ate an English muffin which is like a bagel in disguise as a tea cake.

I was then collected by my host family in once huge shiney car. They were very lovely and friendy and asked me what Hob Nobs were. We went to the largest fast food restaurant in Geogia if not the States, called Varsity. It had its own gift shop. Madness. We then travelled to Ikea which is so much bigger than the one back in Edinburgh. I was given bedding, including pillow, duvet and sheets aswell as a lamp. Once at the check out we ate hot cinamon buns whaich were yummy.

Then we started our trip back to Moultrie where the family live. Although we stopped on the way at a shopping outlet which allowed me to buy a $4 top and the family purchased some shoes and clothing too. We then went back in the car and ate at a Japanesse Steak house. That was good fun. The chef, who we think was from Mexico, but what you gonna do, cooked infront of us at out table. He would also do some tricks and spin eggs making them jump in his hat.

Once home it was 10.30pm and I was dead sleeping till one in the afternoon the next day. I won't go into the next couple of days. I shall only say that walmart was an experience and the bread bowls filled with soup must be one of the best ideas I have ever heard of or eaten for that matter.

1 comment:

Tonra said...

Hi Jen,

Sounds like you had a hard day travelling. Well done on getting through it ok. The Japanese Steakhouse makes my mouth water. How are you coping with the heat? Any chance for a swim yet? Loads of people are asking for you. Take care, and keep blogging. m.