Friday 28 September 2007

homecoming

Saturday is Valdosta States football teams homecoming game. This has been celebrated all week with different events. Wednesday was a comedy show which hundreds turned up to as around 100 people were waiting outside to get a seat when we were told that the auditorium was full and we all had to go home. There was also a trip to a theme park nearby called Wild Adventures which I decided not to go to as I had been told it is quite expensive. Of course I heard the next day that it was free for the students that day so I was a little miffed that this fact was not written down.

Yesterday I went to the pep rally with a friend. It was in our PE complex on the basketball court so already I was excited as it was huge. I felt like I was in a movie there was just that this atmosphere and buzz in the place. It started with the cheerleaders. They were spectacular I have to say. On each others shoulders and flips in the air, I was amazed. Unfortunately they were only wearing t-shirts and shorts so that wasn't all too exciting but the bows in their hair were smart. Made me wonder if they are given them as part of the uniform or whether they are told what type of ribbon to buy and have to go to the haberdashery.
There are also dancers. Not too sure what there deal is to be honest. It seemed a lot like cheer leading but without the acrobatics. Still rather kinky though.

After the dancing it was time for us to meet the judges who would be judging the skits performed by the sororities and fraternities. They call it the lip sync contest. The theme was 'blazing into the future' (the football team are the Valdosta Blazers). So most of the songs had something to do with burning or fire and went from the 50's to present day. It was very funny and the people performing didn't take themselves seriously and just had fun with it so it was a good laugh.
The fraternity that some of my friends are part of won in the end so I am chuffed for them. Also, the fact that they one and didn't resort to wearing woman's clothing for a cheap laugh was very commendable. Although I have to give my respect to the boy wearing the pink, PVC HIGH heeled boots, I don't even know if I would be able to walk in those.

Well tonight is a parade with different floats made by different societies at Valdosta. I know some people that will be riding on the floats so I am going to show my support with my friend from London (hopefully).

Oh, I also voted for Homecoming Queen although I am not sure how to find out who the winner is. All the girls were part of sororities apart from one who was a cheerleader. I voted for the girl who wasn't blond. She looked the nicest.

No comments: